Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mexican Lasagna

This is nowhere near original. I got it from:
I just thought I would share it because I would have never thought to buy it (I had seen them before and didn't buy them) until one of my friends told me she made it and it was super good and it went a long way. So you can just buy the package I bought for a dollar, or I'll post the recipe so if you have all these spices you can just make it. It tasted even better than I expected, so if you are debating, just do it! It's easy and delicious. O and as you can see they call it Quesadilla Casserole but I like to call it Mexican lasagna because it's what it looks like to me.

The McCormick package comes with:
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp oregano leaves
1/2 tsp crushed red peppers (These are optional, but I will say, we don't care for too much spice and we loved it with this in it)

You will need:
1 lb. ground bee
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cans (8 oz. each) tomato sauce
1 can black beans
1 can corn
1 can chopped green chiles (I forgot to buy this so I just used Rotel with green chiles)
6 flour tortillas
2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese (I used a little more)

Directions:
1. Brown beef and onion in large skillet on medium-high heat; drain. Add tomato sauce, beans, corn and green chiles; mix well. Stir in all the spices except red pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes. Add red pepper to taste, if desired.
2. Spread 1/2 cup of beef mixture on bottom of 13x9x2 inch baking dish sprayed with no-stick cooking spray. Top with 3 of the tortillas, overlapping as needed.

This is the way I arranged the three tortillas.
Layer with 1/2 of the remaining beef mixture and 1/2 of the cheese. Repeat with remaining tortillas, beef mixture, and cheese.
3. Bake in preheated 350 oven 15 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
This is what mine looked like and it was delicious!
Ben had a good idea that we will try the next time we make this, which will probably be soon. He said to add a layer of refried beans which I'll probably add to the very top, as well as a thin layer of sour cream, which I'm planing to add in the middle. I would say try it without first and then go from there to your liking.


2 comments:

  1. this looks so delicious! I have all this stuff at home so I can make it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this 2 days ago! I used ground turkey because it was the only thawed meat. I also used corn tortillas. It was good only I realized the recipe didn't have salt in it and I totally forgot to add it so I added salt to the guacamole that I topped it with and it was delicious!!

    ReplyDelete