Thursday, May 5, 2011

Easy Okra Tomato Soup

So one day this week my husband was trying to use up the okra we had bought before it went bad and so he says to me, can you find a recipe for Okra Tomato soup? I said does that exist? Have you had that before? his response...No, and I don't know? so I looked it up and it apparently does exist. some of the recipes looked really yummy. but mostly we didn't have all the ingredients that any one of them asked for, so I improvised and this is what I got. It turned out surprisingly amazing and so I thought I'd share it here. My husband made another dish while I made the soup. I love cooking with him it's fun and he helps encourage me to be creative with the food... most of the time it's me, "What if I put this in there?" ...him, "You're the chef!" anyway here is a picture of our dinner and when I get a chance I'll try and help him remember what he put in his because it was really good too!



close up on the soup..



and here is what I did to the best of my remembrance:

Ingredients:
Okra
one fresh tomato
half an onion
one garlic clove
one can of chicken broth
one can of tomato soup
some frozen corn
I used a few little baby potato's cut up
salt and pepper to taste
and garlic powder
water...not sure how much but definitely don't over do it...maybe a fourth or a third cup...

Directions:
First I chopped up some onion and garlic and let it heat up on low with a bit of olive oil..maybe a tablespoon and a half of olive oil. It stayed on there for about 15min on low while I chopped some fresh tomatoes and the okra. Next I put a can of chicken broth and the tomatoes and okra then I added the tomato soup and a little water and let it boil for some time before I decided that I wanted to put potato in in...so I cut and added potato and let it cook again for about 15-20min and then added frozen corn, salt, pepper, garlic powder and let it cook again for about 5-10min. and that's it!

bon appetit!

let me know if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment